Public art enhances our community and open spaces. A diversity of contemporary art forms in our environment encourages us to reflect on our area’s unique heritage, aspects of our neighbourhoods, and aspirations of our communities.
In Brimbank, we’re proud of our public art commissions and work with artists. We aim to:
- Enliven and enhance public buildings and public spaces
- Create a strong feeling of identity, public pride and ownership of public spaces
- Improve the quality and design of public spaces
- Create landmarks that will become natural gathering spaces
- Provide a focus for local pride, history and storytelling
- Animate and enrich public spaces
- Reflect the rich diversity of our community.
Call for exhibition Proposals – Applications for our 2021 program are now closed!
Brimbank City Council invites artists/curators/groups to submit proposals to exhibit as part of our 2021 exhibition program at the following galleries;
- Sunshine Art Spaces Gallery
- St Albans Community Centre Gallery
We are interested to receive solo or group exhibition proposals from established and emerging artists/groups working across a broad range of visual arts practice including painting, drawing, contemporary textile, new media, photography and installation work. Opportunities are also available for virtual exhibitions. We particularly encourage artists from the western region of Melbourne and artists from diverse cultural backgrounds to apply.
Council provides exhibition space at no charge to exhibit a series of works in a professional gallery space. Each exhibition lasts approximately 6-8 weeks.
Proposals that target specific celebrations such as MidSumma, Reconciliation Week, Refugee Week, International Day of People with a Disability, for example, will be highly regarded.
Brimbank Art Spaces
Check out the variety of art spaces and studios across Brimbank.
Studio terms are for two years at a subsidised cost of $28 per week.
We encourage resident artists to engage with our community through their practice, and also participate in our broader arts and culture program.
This studio program aims to provide:
- Artists with an opportunity to extend and develop their practice in a community setting
- A platform for our residents to engage with artists; and
- Low cost studio spaces in Brimbank.
Sunshine Art Spaces Project
Since opening in August 2012, Sunshine Art Spaces gallery has held various solo and group shows. Located at 2 City Place, Sunshine, the gallery is a multi-functional space suitable for exhibitions and art workshops.
Contact the Arts Spaces Officer about availability on 9249 4600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.